Views: 0 Author: Site Editor Publish Time: 2022-03-10 Origin: Site
What once was a flooring options ideal for commercial environments, rubber flooring has gained in popularity for residential applications. The selection of colours, patterns, and textures that rubber mats offer today is one of the many reasons why more and more homeowners are opting for this flooring option.
As with any product for your home, understanding the benefits and the drawbacks is an important step to finding resilient flooring for your specific use. In this article, we focus on the pros and cons of rubber flooring for basement applications.
The Pros of Rubber Flooring for your Basement
The qualities that have made rubber mats suitable for commercial establishments such as gyms and arenas are the same properties that make them ideal for a basement area.
Some of the advantages of rubber flooring for basements are:
• Low maintenance – All you need is warm water and a mild detergent for an effective clean
• Moisture resistant – Rubber flooring won’t be damaged by moisture or spills
• Absorbs impact – Cushioned surface reduces the risk of injury and fatigue
• Good slip resistance – Ideal for basement gyms or playrooms where a level of friction is needed for safety
• Resistant to stain, mold, and mildew – This is especially beneficial for basements where mold and mildew can grow
• Design – With evolving technology, rubber mats can now mimic the look of wood, ceramic tile, and other flooring types that are not often recommended for basements. This provides the advantage of rubber flooring without the extra care needed with some flooring options.
The Cons of Rubber Flooring for Your Basement
One of the most important factors to consider when choosing rubber mats for your basement is additional protection to prevent moisture from seeping through. While rubber flooring is highly resistant to damage from moisture, you may need to include a vapour barrier that will act as a shield between the bottom surface and the subfloor.
Other disadvantages of rubber mats to consider are:
• Affordability – A resilient flooring option like rubber flooring can come with a hefty price tag. The deciding factor for homeowners is the value they get for their investment that depends on use and purpose.
• Smell – Some rubber flooring has a distinct smell that diminishes with time. Look for a professional flooring company that offers odourless rubber mats.
• Damage from cleaning products – Although rubber flooring is easy to clean, harsh chemicals can damage the surface. It’s important to use mild products when cleaning your rubber floors.
For basements especially, one of the greatest advantages is that rubber mats can be installed on any subfloor and the pieces are easy to replace if damaged. Rubber flooring continues to be a popular option for commercial businesses and residential owners alike for its resilient properties.